Sunday, February 14, 2010

why I am adopting (by anne)

Here’s is why I am going to adopt...

I am adopting because this is just another season in my life were God is doing something through me that I would not do on my own. I am a person who loves my family, my comfort and financial security. At first glance, adoption seems to be something that challenges each of those things. We trust, however, that through this process our family will grow and be strengthened, that my comfort will not be found in what I think my life should look like, but in getting to know Christ better and that my true security will be not found in our bank account.

I’m adopting because I like my kids. I want Wy and Rex to have another friend to play with. I am so excited to have another little face to kiss and love. I remember thinking before Rex was born that we enjoyed Wyatt so much that we needed someone else to share that love. Part of me feels that way now. We really like our boys, think they are the funniest and most enjoyable to be around, and believe that adding another to the mix would just enhance it all.

I am adopting in the hopes that through our adoption, we can encourage others to do the same. I picture a ripple effect. I can think of numerous families who have gone before us, making it easier to understand and value adoption. My hope is that people will look at us, see the Graves family, who is far from having it all together, and say, “Hey, if those people can do it, maybe God can give us the grace to do the same!” We will be adopting only one child, but hopefully many others may eventually be adopted as a result.

Lastly, I am adopting because I have a heart for orphans. Even now, I can’t fathom the life of an orphan. I can’t imagine not being “known” the special way a parent loves a child. From infancy, I could tell my boys’ cry from another. I have known their likes and dislikes, their tickle spots, and what would make them smile. I know their favorite books and their favorite cars. I truly know my kids. I want to give a little child the same chance to be known.

It is amazing for me to think that even though this is such a big step for our family, we still probably will, Lord willing, make it to China, step into the orphanage and think that we haven’t done enough. I fight that thought often. Why adopt one when the problem is so much bigger? There are too many children and needs to deal with. Will it really matter? I believe and trust, for all the good that will come of this in our life and in this little child’s, it will.

2 comments:

Andy and Jenn said...

Beautiful Anne! I love your heart and honesty. I can't wait to meet your new little girl. SO exciting!!!

livinginbetween said...

How did I miss this post, dear one? I think something happened when you moved your blog.

Beautifully written. I love that whole security thing. I too struggle with where my security lies, and having money in the bank is a false comfort.

You do inspire me, and I still have a heart for orphans. Maybe some day . . .